Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Post meeting with the School...



David loves his teacher Mrs. Nelson and she adores him. It really makes a mom feel good to know that her child is in good hands. Well, last post I mentioned we would be meeting once again with David's teacher and the school psychologist and I thought the principal but I guess he wasn't in on it this time. Anyway, they wanted to discuss the "next step". Even with the ticket system in place David still struggles to follow routine, stay on task, and handle carpet time well. He's doing better but not where most kids are at this stage of the game. Mrs. Nelson likes and would continue to like me to come in daily as would I, however, the school psychologist believes that David needs to be able to handle being at school without me there. I respect that and even agree mostly with that point. Sooo, I will begin to phase out my involvement on a daily basis. Today was my first day in weeks that I didn't stay to help out. I did come in 15 minutes early picking up David to see if there was anything I could help with. What can I say, I've grown to love the place.
The other next step is to have David thoroughly tested by the school, all of what's involved I don't completely remember, but I know their will be some in class time observations made of him and some meeting up with the school psychologist to answer questions, etc...all of this to see if David needs special education assistance. Basically they want to see if what he is being taught at school is sinking in. Howard and I don't have any problems with that so that should take place in the next week or so I guess. I wasn't exactly clear on the time frame.
I guess that's all for now. I'll let you know how the testing turns out.

1 comment:

Amie said...

Thanks for the update. How is David handling all this talk about his learning and schooling? It's neat to see everyone wanting to do something early on, instead of waiting until he is much older (as is the case with some students.)