Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The continuing saga of David's schooling...


David and his beloved caterpillar

In case you've been wondering how things are going on the David front here's an update. Awhile ago we implemented a ticket system at home for chores. He can earn a ticket or two worth .10 cents a piece for doing a chore. This seems to work out pretty good at home and so we have extended the system into David's school life. Some of the tickets are used to earn a break during class to do something like drawing at teachers desk or come to see mommy out in the pod area when I'm volunteering...which is almost every day lately :) More on that later... David also earns some tickets to bring home for family meeting on Wednesday nights where he can cash them in to earn a special trip to ice cream, omsi, pizza etc... or for some toys. That's a longer term reward so for the short term he can earn the class rewards of the "breaks" and can also get a ten minute early release from class to go home with me instead of riding the bus. If it's been a rough day then he stays for the full length of the class and then we leave. It's a little bit of a sacrafice for me but it's worth it to help David.
The extra volunteering all started about two weeks before christmas break. Mrs. Nelson wanted to have the kids do a special calendar for a christmas present to their parents. This involved painting the kids hands in twelve different ways, one for each month of the year, and stamping them on the top of the calendar. We got started late with the project and I felt the need to lend an extra hand to help it get done in time for Christmas. Well, as many in our area know the weather had other ideas about when Christmas break should start and we didn't get the calendar done despite working every day for a little over a week. Since I was there every day David was able to take little breaks here and there with me and Mrs. Nelson noticed it had a bit of a calming effect on David. Soooo...after Christmas break was over I began my daily volunteering again, to finish up the calendar and now also to support David in his continued success at school. Mrs. Nelson has been overwhelmed with all my help and has often commented that she doesn't want me to get tired of helping. I reassured her with the fact that I had planned to homeschool David but felt too overwhelmed to do it on my own...I was just glad to have a partner.
So now we are back from Christmas break...finishing up those calendars :) and helping to support Mrs. Nelson each day. I'm not sure if I'll be there every day, maybe not for the full time but as much as I can and Daniel will let me. By the way, Daniel is by my side and doing soooo well. He is AMAZING. I bring him snacks, paper, crayons, stickers, paint, his leapster, my ipod :) (which for those of you that know my boys lost it before and might be wondering if I'm in my "right" mind to let them borrow it again, It's all good, It's just Stuff. :) and besides I have two now so at least I'll always have one...right?), and then there is always all the toys at school for him to play with. Anway he keeps busy and hasn't been complaining so for now that's what we do each day.
So that's how things are going. We have another appointment to meet with the Principal, School Psychologist, and David's teacher, Mrs. Nelson on Jan 12th. That's next Monday. More to follow...

1 comment:

Amie said...

wow! You are a dedicated Mom! that is so awesome that you are able to be in David's class. I'm sure he is enjoying that, and it sounds like the teacher is too. I loved helping in Jonathan's class last year.